Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Buffett of Junk Food

   
      When I read recently that Warren Buffett drinks at least 5 12-oz servings of Coca Cola a day, I thought, “Wow, if he can do it, maybe I can too.”… not drink Coke necessarily (I don’t drink sodas), but consume empty calories every day and live to be 84 years old. His breakfast consists of a Coke and canned Potato Stix or sometimes it’s a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream. Remember one Coke contains 140 calories and 39 grams of sugar.

          How does a seemingly smart person do something so stupid and get away with it? It kinda pisses me off. Not only can I NOT do what he does but I have to consume a minimum of 3 liters of water a day just to avoid getting kidney stones again. He nearly brags about eating like this.


          In a recent interview with Fortune magazine Buffett said, “I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among six-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a six-year-old.” The octogenarian adds, “It’s the safest course I can take.”

          This statement coupled with the fact that he owns something like $16-billion of the Coca-Cola company made me wonder if this whole conversation with the magazine was just a marketing ploy. I couldn’t verify whether his Coke diet is for real or not, but in researching the question I certainly found a lot of pictures of him at meetings with a Coke sitting in front of him.

          I also looked at the comments made in response to this article and there were several like the following:

                    “I've been drinking coke since I was 2 , I am 
                     now 70 , been drinking at least 4 to 6 a day 
                     for the last 60 years guess one day they will 
                     kill me but think the government telling 
                     what is good and not good for me will do 
                     it first.”
          and
                    “I'm 73 and drink two to three cokes a day 
                     and eat a bowl of Bryers's Chocolate Ice 
                     Cream every day. Smoke a 1/2 pack of 
                     cigarettes a day and am in reasonably good 
                     health. Eat what I like and the Doctors be 
                     dammed.”

          No way will I be changing what I eat or drink. Whether Warren Buffett really eats like a 6 year old or not may be inconsequential and silly, but a life needs a little fluff every once in a while, and hopefully this post just fits the bill.

Contact Antonia at antoniasseniormoments@hotmail.com
  or Antonia's Senior Moments on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!