Tuesday, August 20, 2013

National Senior Citizen Day 2013

          You might be just as wooly-minded as I was to learn that tomorrow is National Senior Citizen Day. I’d never heard about this holiday until a week ago, which is particularly surprising since seniors are my personal and 'business' interest. Did you know this holiday existed?

A Little History

          In 1988 President Ronald Reagan issued Proclamation 5847 which established August 21st as National Senior Citizen Day. In his explanation about why he created this holiday, Reagan wrote, “Older citizens are reinforcing their historical roles as leaders and as links with our patrimony and sense of purpose as individuals and as a Nation.”

          He went on to say, “For all they have achieved throughout life and for all they continue to accomplish, we owe older citizens our thanks and a heartfelt salute. We can best demonstrate our gratitude and esteem by making sure that our communities are good places in which to mature and grow older.” That’s worth celebrating!

What to Do Now That You Know

          I can practically hear the younger generations groan as they learn of yet another 'holiday' to scrounge around for a gift to be foisted upon the fastest-growing segment of the population in the world -- a constituent that, for the most part, already has everything. Because I’m into providing practical suggestions along with my comical pot shots, however, let me include the following as possible ways to acknowledge this day for any seniors in your life without having to come up with a tangible gift:

                    - Do for them
                    - Be with them
                    - Listen to them
                    - Volunteer on their behalf
                    - If you can’t be with them, pray for their well-being.

 Just Me

           It might just be me, but I’m not big on these kinds of holidays. Oh, don’t get me wrong, seniors everywhere deserve our recognition, adoration and allegiance, and it’s my belief they routinely lack that kind of attention. I have a mini-problem with assigning holidays to what people are in life. I mean, we don’t have a National Rock Star observance that I’m aware of or one for athletes or sisters-in-laws. We do have them for policemen, teachers and firemen, so some bases are covered.

          I don’t think a huge deal should be made of some of these 'holidays' and, since I didn’t even know this one existed until now, I doubt anyone in my life will be going overboard. Tomorrow is, after all, National Spumoni Day as well. Now, that’s worth getting excited about.

          Seriously, I love all the seniors in my life, including me, and am so grateful for their love, support and contribution. But I feel this way every day, not just tomorrow.

          Happy Holiday to ALL my senior fans and friends…you know who you are.

xo






You might also enjoy:  Want More Fun? Show Me the Basket


Find Antonia here Antonia's Senior Moments on Facebook or
          here antoniasseniormoments@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!